Shrewsbury Youth and Family Services inc.
Mission & Values
Non-profit counseling and social services agency, providing a diverse offering of programs
The mission of Shrewsbury Youth and Family Services, Inc. (SYFS) is to provide counseling and other supportive services to members of our community.
- We create sustainable impact at scale by changing policies, practices and systems.
- We accept that we must take risks in our work in order to create impact.
- We are guardians of the resources dedicated to SYFS and we maximize the impact of our expenditures.
- We shepherd promising ideas into effective action through all of our activities and services.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- We value the dignity of all clients and family members and build safe spaces in which their voices are integral in the decision-making process.
- We believe cultural competency and health equity must be the standard in our work, rather than the exception.
- We acknowledge the impact of racism, sexism and other structural oppressions on mental health, and we speak out against these oppressions even when it is challenging to do so.
- We design our partnerships and work in ways that do not reinforce structural oppressions but create new models for shared power and co-creation.
- We seek to operate as a trauma-informed and client-centered organization and to have our engagement with communities and individuals itself be a protective factor for mental health.
- We conduct our work with honesty and transparency, and we aim to address all situations with high moral and ethical standards.
- We do what we believe is right even if it is difficult or unpopular.
- We build a supportive workplace that is centered on trust.
- We research and adopt information on evidence-based and culturally competent practices that advance the field of mental health.
- We assess and analyze our work in order to measure impact and adapt to changing contexts, so we may continuously learn and improve as an organization.
- We engage with communities to understand their unique needs and work collaboratively to identify areas for greater learning and awareness.
- We use evaluation and communicate our findings to amplify improvements in mental health for our partnering communities.
- Our staff communicate regularly and across units as we all strive towards common goals.
- We recognize that the agency, acting alone, cannot effectively address the systemic nature of the barriers to mental health, so we engage in meaningful partnerships with a variety of stakeholders to ensure sustainable change.
- Our engagement with individuals and communities aims to create opportunities and processes through which people experience a greater sense of control over their own lives.